.The real problem in Rotherham is the continual Political Party Games the Labour and Tories get up to here, in the Town Hall and in Parliament!
We, the Rotherham Independents, believe in more direct accountability to you the voter, a level of openness in the way we make our decisions on what to support on your behalf and a completely fresh approach summed up in the Bell Principles.
Our opponents, in a shameful piece of political opportunism, dismiss our approach, but it is gaining support throughout Rotherham, which is what has them rattled!
"It is time for good old fashioned commonsense to prevail."
"Rotherham Independents offer a better future for Rotherham than the tired old politics of the 19th and 20th centuries."
The Bell Principles build upon Lord Nolan's Principles of 1995.
- abide wholeheartedly by the spirit and letter of the Seven Principles of Public Life set out by Lord Nolan in 1995: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership
- be guided by considered evidence, our real world experience and expertise, our constituencies and our consciences
- be free of control of any political party, pressure group or whip
- be non-discriminatory, ethical and committed to pluralism
- make decisions transparently and openly at every stage and level of the political process, enabling people to see how decisions are made and the evidence on which they are based
- listen, consulting our communities constantly and innovatively treat political opponents with courtesy and respect, challenging them when we believe they are wrong, and agreeing with them when we believe they are right
- resist abuses of power and patronage and promote democracy at every level
- work with other elected independents as a group with a chosen spokesperson
- claim expenses, salaries and compensation openly so the public can judge the value for money of our activities
Support us! Let's together, make Rotherham a Town we can all be proud of!
See also My Pledge To Rotherham posted 1st February 2010